What Is Electric Bike Insurance?
Electric bikes are expensive vehicles. A respectable one will set you back more than $1,000, with some higher-end ones costing upwards of $12,000. E-bikes are some of the best bikes for commuting, and you might want to ride one to work. If someone has stolen your e-bike despite being locked up, an e-bike insurance coverage may cover your damages and loss.
If you ride an electric bike for fitness, insurance for an electric bike could come in handy if you injure yourself or your bike in a mishap. Repairing or, in the worst-case scenario, replacing your bike will add insult to injury. You have come to the right place if you have decided to insure your wheels with electric bike insurance coverage.
Do I Need E-Bike Insurance?
Depending on the country and state you live in, chances are it is not required by law to have e-bike insurance. Check your local laws first before hitting the bike trails, though.
Even if your state does not require e-bike insurance for an electric bike model, it is still a pretty good idea to get a policy anyway. Not is it cheap, but it will also come in handy because, let us face it, e-bikes are pretty fast. If you are commuting to work, using it to get around town, or only cruising on the weekends, accidents can happen.
Just like traditional cyclists, people who ride e-bikes are at risk for:
- Liability (if you hurt someone else accidentally)
Furthermore, battery theft is a common occurrence among electric bike owners. If you do not want to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars in the event of an accident, insurance for an electric bike is the way to go. Instead of reaching for your money, check your electric bike insurance policy to see if you are protected.
What Does Electric Bike Insurance Cover?
Electric bike insurance policy features, as well as the variety of terms and limitations, might vary from one provider to the next, but most policies will cover you against:
- Theft and malicious damage if your e-bike is stolen or vandalized, you will be compensated.
- Accidental damage can assist in the repair or replacement of your e-bike if you are involved in an accident.
Some policy elements may be included as standard with some providers, while others may be available as an optional extra with others. These are some of them:
- Third-party liability insurance is meant to cover legal costs and compensation claims if your e-bike injures someone or damages their property or the courts judge you responsible.
- Personal injury insurance can assist pay your medical expenses if you are in an accident and lost wages if you are hospitalized.
- Hire a Bike Coverage that covers the cost of a temporary replacement if your electric bike is being repaired. Accessories cover pays for replacement helmets, clothing, and e-bike extras such as a GPS.
- Riding Abroad Coverage protects you if you ride your electric bike outside the United States. You may not require all of these options, but it is crucial considering each one to ensure your insurance matches your needs.
How To File An E-Bike Insurance Claim?
If you have been in an accident, and someone has stolen your electric bike, or you qualify for any insurance claim, you are just a few steps away from receiving benefits.
Simple Bike insurance believes in no-nonsense claims that should be easy to process and file. We have put together a detailed claims checklist of everything you will need to have and do to complete the claims process.
The short version is you will need some documentation like photos of the incident, a police report, and a damage assessment from your local e-bike shop. Then you will email your documents along with a statement.
Make sure to follow our complete claims guide to help expedite your benefits. If you have questions, reach out to us online or you can call us.
Electric bikes (also known as e-bikes) are pricey, high-risk road vehicles are often not fully covered by homeowners, renters, or auto insurance. It is a risky decision to ride your e-bike without insurance. If something goes wrong with your electric bike, having insurance might give you piece of mind knowing you will not be on the hook for the payment. Fortunately, our e-bike insurance is tailored to your needs with the lowest electric bike insurance cost.